I hope your new year is off to an amazing start!
This year started out a bit differently than I had anticipated. I parted ways with my company after more than three years. It was unexpected and heartbreaking, and I’m not at a point where I’m struggling to find consistency in a world with no concrete schedules and meetings. To combat this, I’ve been focusing on organization and routine.
While I could go into the details of me taking six hours to organize and clean our house yesterday, I’ll spare you the details, and I’ll instead focus on one routine that’s a bit more exciting – my skincare routine.
If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know that I’m a huge lover of Beautycounter and Primally Pure. These are two brands that not only use safer ingredients, but also work really, really well. I made the full switch about two years ago, and I haven’t looked back. Throughout that time, I’ve rotated in a few products, changed some things around, but I feel that I’m finally on a great path for my skin. Below I’ll run through my morning and night routines, and talk about some amazing “tools” I’ve incorporated as well. Let the fun begin!
- Tools – Ice Roller, Clarisonic, Dry Brush (see “TOOLS” below for deets!)
- Cleanser – Beautycounter Rejuvenating Face Cleanser: I’ve honestly never found a better cleanser. Beautycounter pulled this for about a year (another example of how they are CONSTANTLY evaluating their products!), and I was devastated. When it finally came back, it was like Christmas! This product has transformed my skin. The tone and texture of my skin have completely changed. It’s super light, super gentle, has a nice light lather, and it smells incredible!
- Toner/Mist – Beautycounter No. 1 Brightening Facial Mist: this can be used to prep the skin or as a nice little refresher throughout the day. It helps to brighten the complexion overall and Vitamin C helps to reduce age spots.
- Oil/Serum – Beautycounter No. 1 Brightening Face Oil: When I talk above about products that I’ve rotated in and out, finding an oil/serum that worked for me was one of those things… and then I discovered this! Don’t let the word “oil” throw you off. This absorbs so nicely into the skin. It brings radiance, brightness, and moisture all in one. It has helped to even out my skin tone and help with some inflammation/redness that I had been experiencing. It also has a lovely citrus scent! Oh, and did I mention it was voted Best of Beauty by Allure? Need I say more?!
- Eye Treatment – Beautycounter Rejuvenating Eye Cream: I call this my night of sleep in a jar! It contains wild algae (say what?!) and caffeine, so it’s a powerhouse against fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles. AH-MAY-ZING.
- Moisturizer – Primally Pure Beauty Cream: Love this stuff! Another area that I’ve struggled to find a product that not only moisturized, but that I felt benefited (is that a word?) my skin. I saw results immediately after the first time I used this stuff. It uses a blend of fats and organic plant oils to moisturize and diminish lines without feeling heavy or clogging pores. It has also has been life for my neck and decolletage!
- Tools – Microneedle Derma Roller, Jade Roller (see “TOOLS” below for deets!)
- Cleanser – Beautycounter Cleansing Balm: The. Best. I’ve talked about this product before, and it rings true that anyone who has ever tried this product has fallen in love with it. It brightens the skin, it hydrates the skin, it removes makeup, it can be used as a hydrating mask overnight, it’s great for dry skin on knees, elbows, and heels… I’ve even used it under my eyes on especially tired days. It’s a multitasker, and I often wonder what I did without it!
- Toner/Mist – Beautycounter No. 1 Brightening Facial Mist: (see above!)
- Oil/Serum – Primally Pure Fancy Face Serum: this is new to my lineup. After reading all of the reviews on the Primally Pure site, I just had to give it a go… and I’m already obsessed. It’s all oils, and it addresses pretty much every skin concern you can think of from fine lines to scarring. I will say, the smell is going to take some getting used to (which you’ll see mentioned often in the reviews), but I can handle it for the results it provides!
- Eye Treatment – Beautycounter Rejuvenating Eye Cream: (see above!)
- Moisturizer – Beautycounter Rejuvenating Night Cream: another great moisturizer that doesn’t make you skin feel like you’re wearing something heavy as you sleep. Light, great smelling, super absorbent, and it repairs your skin as you sleep. You literally wake up with a softer, glowing complexion. Another must have!
Pretty much every tool that I use, with the exception of the Clarisonic, I learned about through The Skinny Confidential. The mastermind behind The Skinny Confidential is Lauryn Evarts, and if you’re not already following her, stop what you’re doing right now and do it! She’s positive, witty, has some of the best recommendations of any blogger that I follow, and she just seems to be an all around amazing human being who takes pride in what she does and appreciates all that she has. So now that you’ve followed her, let’s get down to biz-nass about these bad boys!
- Ice Roller: I’ve been getting so many questions about this since I started posting about it on Instagram. It’s great for puffiness, circulation, and lymphatic drainage. I use this first thing in the morning BEFORE I wash my face. Rather than take the words out of her mouth, read more about it from Lauryn here.
- Clarisonic: I use this three times a week. Usually on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so I can keep it straight! 🙂 I’ve seen a significant improvement in my pore size, small spots of rosacea, and sun spots. It also makes your skin feel so smooth and look super polished. If I slack on using this, I can immediately see the difference in my skin.
- Jade Roller: I use this every night before I go to sleep and after my nightly routine for at least five minutes. It helps to improve circulation, promotes lymphatic drainage, and overall revitalizes the skin. I see a huge difference in the puffiness and dark circles around my eyes immediately after using it.
- Microneedle Derma Roller: I die. This thing is life. I am a little less than a week in on this bad boy, and it’s as good as everyone says it is. I am starting out using this three times a week to give my skin some time to adjust. I use this after my serum and apply more with moisturizer after I’m done. The tiny needles produce tiny punctures in the skin. Your body then sends extra collagen and blood to these “wounds” which help the skin to renew itself. It sounds scary, but you must, must try. Thank me later.
- Dry Brush: While most recommend this be done in the morning, due to me being a morning workout person, and not wanting to drag my brush over my sweaty self (I sweat like a man), I do this before bed. That said, it’s life changing. Dry Brushing promotes circulation, helps celulite, removes dry skin cells, and… you guess it… helps with lyphatic drainage. More from our resident expert here. My post-drybrushing treatment of choice are one of the following:
- Beautycounter Body Butter in Citrus Mimosa: though seemingly thick, this body butter goes on smooth, absorbs quickly, and smells incredible!
- Beautycounter Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary: Some choose to use these two together, and on super dry nights, I may. You really can’t go wrong! Again, don’t let “oil” fool you. This stuff absorbs like a dream.
And last, but not least… OTHER FAVORITES:
- Primally Pure Sea Soak: Throw this in the bath to detox and sooth. It’s the best thing after a long day, tough workout, or just anytime really! Ingredients of salts, seaweeds, and clays help to make you feel like a new person, while essential oils of eucalyptus, peppermint and spearmint take you away like Calgon never could.
- Beautycounter No. 3 Balancing Mask: Great a few times a week for an overall treatment and also great as an overnight spot treatment for any unexpected pimples. This nutrient-rich kaolin clay mask absorbs excess oil and draws out impurities. Activated charcoal minimizes the appearance of pores, and salicylic acid stimulates exfoliation. Yes.
WHEW! Lots covered above, but lots of things that I love and love to talk about! As I mentioned, this blend of the right products and tools didn’t happen for me overnight. It has been a lot of trial and error! This is what works for ME, and it may not work for everyone, but hopefully seeing everything in one place might help you determine what steps you’d like to take to safer and healthier skin. In the meantime, please reach out with any questions or comments. I’d love your feedback.
I’ve mentioned before, but I am a Beautycounter consultant. If you are interested in any of the products, you can shop my site or contact me for any questions or recommendations. I have no affiliations to Primally Pure or to The Skinny Confidential – just pure LOVE!
Thanks for your support and for stopping by!