Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays to all!
Hopefully, by now, you’re all either en route to family and friends or already settled in, presents unwrapped and surround by love! I’m in Park City with my husband, parents, brother, SIL, and my adorable niece and nephew. Feeling loved, happy, and relaxed.
And whether we like it or not, soon the new year will be upon us! Which means, like every year, we’ll be paying extra attention to our health. And while we may all make a commitment to getting to the gym, and a better diet, let’s not forget about and skin and how taking care of that also has a significant impact on our health and fitness.
Detoxing and hydrating are always musts for me to get myself back to my routine and more importantly, feeling like myself again. And there are a few and simple (and easy!) things that can be done to help this process along – switching up or adding to your routine, changing your regimen to include cleaner, safter products, and taking a fresh look at our diets. So consider this your Amy-approved guide to all things hydrating and detoxing for 2018!
Take an honest look at your nutrition
Everything we put into our bodies impacts it! Everything. So it makes sense that this is the first place we need to look to address these two areas.
- Water – shocking, I know, right? The truth of the matter is most of us aren’t getting enough water on any given day. Do you know that you are supposed to consume HALF of your body weight in ounces on a daily basis?! And if you’re working out, it should be even more than that to compensate for the electrolytes you’re depleting while kicking ass. I recommend getting a fancy water bottle that will keep your water cold and be giving yourself goals as to how many times you want to be filling that bad boy up throughout the day.
Take a look at your diet
Consume foods that will help to aid your hydrating and detoxing goals:
- Hydrating Foods – Good options are cucumbers, lettuce, radishes, celery, green peppers, watermelon, spinach, strawberries.
- Detoxing Foods – Some great ones are beets, garlic, artichokes, avocados, kale, lemon and green tea. Not to spinach and broccoli that are mentioned above!
Give your skin some TLC
There is so much you can do to help your skin along to help through all of the damage you’ve been putting your skin through over the past few months. Whether it be late nights, make up for holiday parties (and maybe even falling asleep with it still on?!? #guilty), not getting enough sleep, stress, even all of the changes in weather… the list goes on… your skin is the first thing to show wear and tear, so let’s giving a little love back for hanging in there with us, shall we?
- Exfoliate – While this might seem like it works a bit against the overall idea, exfoliation is key to help remove dead skin cells and impurities, so your skin can begin to repair and heal itself. Here are a few of my very favorites!
- Beautycounter Nourishing Cream Exfoliator – Non-abrasive jojoba beads help slough off dry skin, while organic coconut oil and aloe soothe and hydrate.
- Beautycounter Body Scrub with Lemongrass – Made with brown sugar to buff away dull skin, and mineral-rich evening primrose, sweet almond, apricot kernel, and sunflower oils to leave skin looking supple and smooth. Antioxidant-rich acai berry supports the appearance of healthy skin, and a mix of pure citrus and lemongrass oils leaves a fresh and invigorating scent.
- Tone – Toning your skin will help soothe, nourish, and hydrate the skin while restoring its delicate pH balance. Give any of these a go for a nice little treat for the skin!
- Beautycounter Rejuvenating Radiance Serum – even the look of skin tone, improve hydration and reduce the appearance of wrinkles thanks to a combination of vitamin C, mixed fruit acid complex, and algae and marine extract.
- Beautycounter Nourishing Rosewater Mist – Wake up your complexion with our skin-softening toning spray, made with organic rose essence, purified water, and moisturizing sodium hyaluronate. Great to recooperate the skin as you’re getting back on track.
- Moisturize – This may seem like a no-brainer, but thinking about the type and quality of ingredients in your moisturizing route is of the utmost importance! While some products seem to be an obvious choice, oils are also a great addition to any beauty routine. I initially shied away from oils, because of my oily complexion, but since using them, I can tell you that they are LIFE CHANGING. Change your life too with these head-to-toe staples!
- Beautycounter Body Butter in Citrus Mimosa – Shea butter and mongongo oil hydrate and nourish skin, while organic sunflower oil, aloe, and chamomile soothe and smooth. Not to mention it smells incredible! This has been life-changing while here in Park City!
- Beautycounter Face Oils – my favorite is the No. 1 Brightening Oil, but there are also Plumping and Balancing options. For those of you who feel that oils might be too much to add into your routine, or if you’re slowing stepping into this additional step, I always recommend starting with adding a few drops directly to your moisturizer first.
- Primally Pure Beauty Cream – there are both Palmarosa + Mint and Blue Tansy options, and I kid you not when I tell you this stuff is incredible. It’s far and few between that you find a product that you use and immediately see results, but these check that box! They deeply nourish and help to combat inflammation and wrinkles.
- Primally Pure Lip Balm – ingredients like tallow from grass-fed cows make this stuff a MUST! It comes in five amazing scents, including my favorites lavender (perfect to keep by the bedside to help relax before bed!) and peppermint. I keep these everywhere… desk, home, purse, car… I always need to have one close by!
- Beautycounter No. 3 Balancing Mask – This nutrient-rich kaolin clay mask purifies and balances, absorbing excess oil and drawing out impurities. Activated charcoal minimizes the appearance of pores, giving skin a smooth, refined appearance while salicylic acid stimulates exfoliation. This is a must for me! I try to use it as a mask at least twice a week, and as a spot treatment when a crater decides to make an appearance on my face!
- Beautycounter Cleansing Balm – Cleansing Balm melts into your skin to hydrate while it cleanses, removing makeup and other impurities but never stripping away moisture. With vitamin C to brighten the appearance of skin and raspberry and cranberry seed oils to hydrate, the formula can also be used as an intensely nourishing face mask. This is a MUST HAVE! Not only is it an amazing cleanser, but it can also be used as a moisturizing ask or on dry knees, heels, and elbows. Sometimes I’ll even use it on dry hair ends. It’s such a multitasker!
- Beautycounter Charcoal Bar – detoxifies and absorbs impurities in your skin without drying it out, resulting in a smoother, brighter complexion. Made with antioxidant-rich, organic green tea and hydrating organic coconut oil, this is a great way to mix up your cleansing routine and give your skin a little something extra!
- Primally Pure Sea Soak – there are no words! I live for this stuff! Salts, seaweeds and clays relax sore muscles and provide the skin and body with vital minerals, while organic essential oils of eucalyptus, peppermint and spearmint relax the body and mind.
- Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary – Instantly absorbed and intensely moisturizing, this nourishing blend of 13 botanical oils leaves skin smooth, silky, and luminous, while hints of grapefruit, sweet orange, and rosemary create a beautifully complex yet subtle scent. This is my go-to to use with dry brushing. And again… I know you’re thinking oil = greasy, but this stuff really absorbs as instandly as they say!
- Sleep! – there is no replacement for good night of sleep. While it’s not always easy, this is definitely something that I’ve made a priority. And when I don’t… I immediately see the impact on my skin and my body overall. MAKE TIME FOR SLEEP!
So there you have it! Now that the holiday shopping is done, it’s time to turn the attention back to you and get yourself to the best you that you can be for 2018. Hopefully, you’ll find some of the above helpful in accomplishing this! I know I’m already feeling better just typing it! 🙂 Now it’s time to put attention back to the family, sip my mimosa, and watch the snow come down around me.
Merry Christmas, all!
NOTE: Full disclosure, I am a Beautycounter consultant. You can shop my page here. And although I am not an affiliate of Primally Pure, as with Beautycounter I stand behind their products and their results.